The geographic centre of downtown TORONTO is devoted to politics, medicine and education. The Ontario legislature and provincial government buildings, a complex of 5 hospitals and scientific research facilities, and the University of TORONTO occupy several city blocks north to south, east to west.
The University of TORONTO was founded by royal charter as King’s College in 1827. It was originally controlled by the Church of England, but is now a secular institution made up of twelve colleges. U of T was the birthplace of insulin and stem cell research, site of the first practical electron microscope, developed multi-touch technology, identified Cygnus X-1 as a black hole and developed the theory of NP completeness. By a significant margin, it receives the most annual research funding of any Canadian university.
Some facts and figures:
12,000 faculty members
66,000 undergraduate students
Domestic tuition $5,695-$13,203 depending on the program
International tuition $16,886 to $48,293
3 art galleriesOn the downtown St. George campus (where these photos were taken) there are more than 58,000 undergraduate students, 30 restaurants, 1 publishing house, 34 special constables, 21 incubator start-ups and 8 commercial businesses.
SUBWAY STOPS: Queen’s Park, St. George, Museum
If you live in TORONTO, you’ve no doubt seen this building. It sits in the middle of a streetcar roundabout on Spadina Avenue, just north of College Street. ONE SPADINA was built in 1875 by the Presbyterian Church as Knox College, a theological institute now part of the University of Toronto.
It later became the Spadina Military Hospital, where aviator AMELIA EARHART worked as a nurse’s aid tending to wounded soldiers. There’s been at least one murder in the building, and an accidental death when a female professor, looking for ghosts, plunged to the ground in 2009 while attempting to jump from one part of the building to another.
After a $50-million renovation, ONE SPADINA will be transformed into the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture. The revitalization will include a 50,000 sq ft glass addition to the rear, design studio spaces, an advanced fabrication lab, a 400-capacity hall for public events, and a public gallery.
PHOTO BELOW – Spadina Crescent in the middle, and the circular Lord Lansdowne Public School bottom right – http://www.Kevo89/blogTO/March 6, 2010
MASSEY COLLEGE, 4 Devonshire Place, is a well-connected and financially endowed institution in downtown TORONTO. Designed by Canadian architect, RON THOM, and opened in 1963 by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, this is one of the University of Toronto’s most beautiful buildings. <PHOTOS 1 & 2 by SchwerinG/wikipedia>
Massey College was conceived by VINCENT MASSEY, 18th Governor-General of Canada, as a “place of dignity, grace, beauty and warmth”.
The award-winning Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, 160 College Street, is home to the University of Toronto faculties of Medicine, Pharmacy, Applied Science and Engineering. Its night time display references colour-coded laboratory devices, and the biomolecular displays the building’s occupants see under their microscopes. Alliance and Behnisch Architects.
<PHOTOGRAPH – Ross Winter>
HART HOUSE, on the University of Toronto’s downtown campus, is one of North America’s earliest student centres. Established in 1911, it’s named in honour of Hart Massey (the grandfather of Vincent Massey, former Governor-General of Canada). Among other things, it contains the monumental Great Hall and the art deco Hart House Theatre.
<PHOTO – hydraulophone music rehearsal, Great Hall, glogger/wikipedia>
HART HOUSE THEATRE opened in November, 1919. It’s considered the ‘cradle of Canadian theatre’, and among those who began their careers there were Raymond Massey, Lloyd Bochner, Wayne and Shuster, William Hutt, Don Harron, Kate Reid, Arthur Hiller, Donald Sutherland, Norman Jewison and Lorne Michaels.