This magnificent agglomeration was home to the University of TORONTO’s Trinity College from 1852 to 1925. It was situated on the present-day site of Trinity-Bellwoods Park, on Queen Street West. The photos above and below were taken around 1890, and are provided by the City of Toronto Archives.
<PHOTO ABOVE – The Provost’s Lodge, Trinity College>
All that’s left of the old Trinity College are the gates. They’re now a landmark entrance to Trinity-Bellwoods Park.
University of Trinity College, 6 Hoskin Avenue, is one of the smallest colleges (1600 students) within the University of Toronto. Founded by Anglican Bishop John Strachan in 1827, it was federated into the secular University under government pressure, in 1904.
Originally in Trinity-Bellwoods Park on Queen Street West, the present campus was erected between 1925 and 1961.
The chapel, built in 1955, was a gift from Salada Tea CEO Gerald Larkin. Trinity combines elements of Gothic Revival, Jacobethan and Tudor Revival architecture. Subway stop: WELLESLEY, and then westbound Bus #94 to Hoskin Avenue, or MUSEUM, then walk west half a block, and south down Philosopher’s Walk.