The TORONTO GENERAL POST OFFICE stood where Toronto Street meets Adelaide from 1873, until the 1950‘s when it was demolished.
All that remains is Canada’s coat-of-arts removed from above the doorway, and a memorial plaque to one ALBERT JACKSON – in a Lombard Street parkette.
ALBERT JACKSON, born into slavery in Delaware in the 1850’s, became TORONTO’s first Black letter carrier and one of the few people of colour appointed a civil servant in 19th century Canada.
Jackson’s mother, Ann Maria, escaped from the United States to Canada via the Underground Railroad network after two of her sons were sold and her husband died of grief. Anna Maria and seven children arrived in TORONTO where Albert grew up and was educated.
Mr. Jackson was appointed a letter carrier on May 12, 1882. Racists within the post office refused to train him, but with some help from Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald and the Black community, he eventually delivered mail for over 30 years, and worked at the post office until his death in 1918.