In 1983 TORONTO was declared a ‘nuclear free zone’, and shortly after that a Peace Garden was established in front of New City Hall. The Flame of Peace was dedicated by Pope John Paul II and a few weeks later Queen Elizabeth II attended the official opening.
Over the past six years the garden was moved and reconstructed bigger and better on the west side of Nathan Phillips Square. A reflecting pool has been added, and a refurbished Flame of Peace can be found at the north end of the pool.
Work is well underway at BERCZY PARK on Wellington Street East. Now after eight years of behind-the-scenes planning, the revitalization of historic GRANGE PARK is about to happen.
This is one of TORONTO’s oldest gathering places – originally the garden of an estate owned by D’Arcy Boulton Jr. The house, built in 1817 is one of the oldest surviving buildings in our city and is now accessible through the Art Gallery of Ontario. <PHOTOS of The Grange – 2015 and 1880>
Among the plans – older trees will be saved; 60 additional trees planted; an art-themed play area and splash pad built; there’ll be sculpture-like climbing structures; new paving; fountains; a gathering and performance space in front of The Grange – in other words, wherever possible the entire park will become ‘animation central’.
The famous bronze sculpture ‘Large Two Forms’ by Henry Moore, will be moved from the corner of Dundas Street West and McCaul into the centre of the park. “Pretty damn cool!” said Councillor Joe Cressy.
In the vicinity – Ontario College of Art and Design University, Art Gallery of Ontario, University Settlement House swimming pool and daycare centre, St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, the red & yellow brick Chinese Baptist Church, several art galleries, the Music Gallery, Baldwin Street eateries, and Chinatown West.