TORONTO’S DESIGN EXCHANGE IS HOUSED IN THE OLD TSX STOCK EXCHANGE BLDG., 234 BAY STREET

Opened in 1994, The Design Exchange – or DX – is a non-profit library, archive, art gallery, museum and resource centre in TORONTO’s Financial District.  Formerly the TSX Stock Exchange, the DX building stores the permanent collection of Canadian Industrial Design, the Clairtone, Fred Moffat and Thomas Lamb Archives . . . and designer’s galleries open to the public.

Intact on the second floor, is the deco Trading Floor of the Old Stock Exchange, with its famous clock and spectacular murals by Charles Comfort (1900-1994), who also created the frieze on the building’s facade.

 The Design Exchange mounts regular exhibitions in the ground floor galleries. Some are free.  PHOTOS – Trading floor in colour, Miles Storey/torontoist; clock and “Gold” mural detail, http://www.seemsartless.com

<PHOTO – the Trading Floor when this was the TORONTO Stock Exchange>

Subway stop: KING, and walk to Bay, then south one block.

Advertisements