In the 1790’s it was a Don Valley lumber mill, and later grew into an industrial complex and a village. Fortunately, today it still exits as the Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum and Arts Centre – with both a theatre and a forest preservation area.
In the 1930s, the Windermere Riding Academy used the property. Don Vale Textiles occupied the buildings in the late 1940s. From 1950 to 1963, the Whitewood Riding School was housed at the stables.
.In the 1940’s it was occupied by German prisoners-of-war. The prisoners worked making bricks in the nearby Don Valley Brick Works. In the 1990’s the Todmorden Mills Wildflower Preserve was created. Non-native invasive species were removed in order to restore flowers and trees native to the TORONTO area.