ST. BASIL’S CHURCH, THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL’S COLLEGE, 1856

Best known to Torontonians as the church with the noontime bells, ST. BASIL’s was built in a neighbourhood once called CLOVERHILL.  The architect was a Scotsman – WILLIAM HAY.  In 1856 – this area was all open countryside, but today it’s filled with high-rise condos.As more buildings go up, the neighbourhood had been fighting to save a small park with mature trees at the corner of St. Joseph and Bay – and they’ve succeeded.