St. Andrew’s Market was one of several in TORONTO’s youth

<St. Andrew’s Market and St. Andrew’s Hall, 1921>

St. Andrew’s Market, corner of Maud and Richmond Streets, was one of several marketplaces downtown.  The St. Lawrence (1803), St. Patrick’s (1850) and St. Andrew’s (1837) were three of the largest.  Only the St. Lawrence survives.  The original St. Andrew’s opened in 1837, and was rebuilt twice.   The final version was demolished on January 5, 1932.  It’s now the site of a waterworks building and  TORONTO’s first supervised children’s playground (which opened in 1909).  <PHOTOS – City of Toronto Archives>

MARKET2

Advertisements