TORONTO’s principal square is named after NATHAN PHILLIPS, mayor of all the people from 1955-62. The Square and New City Hall opened in 1965. The architect: Finland’s VILJO REVELL.
And now, $40-50 million later, NATHAN PHILLIPS SQUARE looks the way the architect intended: a wide open space with plenty of room for a farmer’s market, concerts, ice skating, public events of every description, demonstrations, New Year’s Eve celebrations, and the annual Festival of Lights. There are more fountains, a large permanent stage, new snack bar and skate rental building. 100 Queen Street West at Bay.