GHOST BLDGS. ON TORONTO ISLANDS – GONE FOREVER, BUT THEIR IMAGES SURVIVE IN THE ARCHIVES

TORONTO Islands, a vast network of parks, canals, a boardwalk, superb views of the skyline, an antique carousel, labyrinth, the harbour and Lake Ontario, along with a community of 250 winterized cottages (on Ward’s Island) . . . only 15 minutes from TORONTO’s Financial District.  Ferries leave from the foot of Yonge Street and minutes later you’re there. Winter and summer schedules differ, and the ferries take different routes. Water taxis are also available.  The “ghost buildings” of TORONTO Islands exist only in the city archives. Below – paintings by TORONTO artists, dating from 1856 to 1949.<Old Fog Bell, Toronto Island, by William Armstrong (1822-1916)><Elias Rogers’ Belvedere Cottage, Centre Island, artist unidentified, 1890><Louis Privat Hotel, Toronto Island, where The Eastern Gap is now, 1850, by Owen Staples (1866-1949)><David Ward Senior’s house, Centre Island, built in 1856, by Joseph Thomas Rolph (1831-19160><William Ward House, ca1871-85, Centre Island, by Owen Staples (1866-1949)><The Monarch, paddle steamer, ran aground on Toronto Island, November 29/1856, by William Armstrong (1822-1916)><Lookout Tower, Toronto Harbour Police, 1949, by Nicholas Hornyansky (1896-1965)>