I hadn’t encountered one of these books before. It happened to be sitting all alone on a shelf in TORONTO City Hall. Published by the city, it’s free, well researched, gives travel directions, photos, maps, touring loops, advice on eateries, history, architecture – everything you’d need to know.THE SCARBOROUGH SIGN (page 86), built in 2018, is moved to sites and events in different parts of the borough to promote community pride. Scarborough’s population is 626,000; first settled in the 1790’s; has a very diverse culture; is popular with new immigrants; went from a township to suburb, to borough, to a city, and now it’s a ‘division’, amalgamated with TORONTO.Top attractions – TORONTO Zoo (largest in Canada), The Scarborough Bluffs (cliffs and beaches along Lake Ontario); strip malls with some of the best take-out multi-cultural food anywhere in the GTA; and eat-in restaurants (some of which were recommended by the New York Times’ Frugal Traveler).Map from Wikipedia – Scarborough is in red on the east side of TORONTO. Find out more about the Cultural Hot Spot service, this book and others by going to this address ——  ——  BELOW are some excerpts from ‘Explore Scarborough’.ROUGE VALLEY NATIONAL URBAN PARK (page 28), 1749 Meadowvale Road, is the largest urban park in North America, stretching from TORONTO into Markham and Whitchurch-Stouffville. The Conservation Centre is housed in an 1893 house owned by the Pearse family, who operated a saw mill on the Rouge River. The park is massive.FINCH HYDRO CORRIDOR EAST TRAIL, photo by Corey Horowitz, (page 11), a recreational & biking trail underneath Ontario Hydro’s transmission lines. Plans are to lengthen it. SEWELLS BRIDGE, Sewells Road, north of Old Finch Avenue, is one of the oldest bridges in Scarborough and the only remaining suspension bridge in Ontario. – (page 26)
One of many MURALS across the district. This one commemorates the women who worked in the General Engineering Co. plant during World War II. It’s in the underpass at Warden and St. Clair.THE SCARBOROUGH SRT (rapid transit line connects with subway line #2, page 39). Completed in 1985 the SRT was once thought to be technological and transit for the future – with its magnetic propulsion system promoted by the provincial government. It hasn’t worked out that way.  Delays and breakdowns, especially in winter, are common. But the idea was passed on to Detroit and Vancouver with much greater success.SCARBOROUGH COLLEGE (pages 70, 71), within the University of TORONTO, founded in 1964. It was designed by Australian, JOHN ANDREWS, who is known in Canada for also designing the CN Tower – our #One attraction. The campus is known for its Brutalist and Modernist buildings as well as some contemporary ones.  It starred recently in Oscar-winning feature ‘The Shape of Water’.DORIS McCARTHY GALLERY (pages 73, 107 & 108), 125 Military Trail, is named after Calgarian Doris Jean McCarthy, born in 1910. She spent more than 70 years living in her house on top of the Scarborough Bluffs, affectionately known as “Fool’s Paradise”. That name came from her mother who thought the purchase was excessive for a young school art teacher. She was known for her Canadian landscapes, and became a very successful painter.ST. AUGUSTINE’S SEMINARY, (page 99) 2661 Kingston Road. It’s on private property, and can only be observed from the street. Built in 1910, and dedicated in 1913, it’s the first seminary in English-speaking Canada, and the first institution of higher learning in Scarborough.

SCARBOROUGH MUSEUM (page57), 1007 Brimley Road, 1858, was originally a clapboard farmhouse, restored and furnished to its 1914 state. The Cornell family, who once lived there, built the townships’ first sawmill and influenced the building of a road along Lake Ontario, which later became Kingston Road.