The National Ballet School (NBS) occupies a number of buildings – some historic, some brand new – on Jarvis and Maitland Streets in downtown TORONTO.
Since its founding, NBS has been acclaimed for excellence in the training of dance professionals. Graduates perform in major companies worldwide, and include some of the finest choreographers and artistic directors. The School is associated with the National Ballet of Canada, itself founded in 1951.
<PHOTO – Ballet School audition, Kashmala Fida/CBC>
NBS provides dance training, academic instruction and student housing on its TORONTO campus. Founders – CELIA FRANCA and BETTY OLIPHANT, both now deceased. <PHOTO ABOVE – Betty Oliphant Theatre>
The School opened in a former Quaker Meeting House, <PHOTOS ABOVE> at 111 Maitland Street. It was purchased for the sum of $80,000. The building has been totally renovated, inside and out, and is now the dining hall.
Since the year 2000, the School has expanded by occupying several buildings formerly owned by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. <PHOTO ABOVE – the former CBC Radio building>
<PHOTO – the CBC’s former headquarters for Ontario>
Major expansion of the NBS was completed in 2007 at a cost of $100-million.