HELEN & WALTER ZWIG CIRCUMNAVIGATED THE GLOBE AND COLLECTED ART ALONG THE WAY

You’ll find The Helen and Walter Zwig Collection at 68 Abell Street, south of Queen Street West. The TORONTO couple, both now deceased, had a taste for adventure – which led them by sailboat to Europe, the US, the South Pacific and Central America. Their gallery features work drawn entirely from art they’ve collected.  Website – https://www.zwigcollection.ca/The summer sidewalk Chalk Festival is a brilliant idea from the Zwig Foundation. Despite extreme heat, humidity and chances of rain, the show went on regardless. Three chalk drawn pieces are on display at the Zwig Foundation until August 24th.  <Some sidewalk chalk creations above and below>

Advertisements

“MISSING LINK” IS NO LONGER MISSING – 22 KM. WATERFRONT BIKE TRAIL IS NOW COMPLETE

The “gap” between two sections of the Martin Goodman Trail has now been closed. – completing the intersections between Leslie Street and the Outer Harbor Marina. The project is part of Waterfront TORONTO’s ‘Quick Starts’ program, which includes several projects along the waterfront. Along the route, riders will pass a resting area, habitat enhancements, low-impact stormwater management features, and a mix of native trees and shrubs. – UrbanToronto.ca

AMERICAN & CANADIAN CARS IN THE 1950’S WERE STYLISH WORKS OF ART & ROMANCE SOLD THEM

<PONTIAC – Pathfinder Deluxe, made in Canada, advertisement in the Saturday Eveniing Post, 1950><METEOR – Canadian car advertisement, 1950’s><NASH EXHIBIT, Canadian National Exhibition, TORONTO, 1938.  A special feature – you could sleep in it anywhere.><DESOTO CUSTOM – ‘Drive without shifting’, Canadian advertisement><MONARCH, ‘Canada’s own car of distinction’ promotional image, 1956><METEOR CONVERTIBLE, rare Canadian>

FYI – FOR YOUR INFORMATION – STATS ON CASA LOMA, TORONTO’S FAMOUS CASTLE

Built – 1911-1914
 . . . Cost$3.5-million . . . 
98 rooms
 . . . 5 acres of gardens
 . . . designed by E. J. Lennox who also did Old City Hall
 . . . 30 bathrooms
 . . . 25 fireplaces
 . . . 22,400 sq. foot stables
 . . . 3 bowling alleys
 . .  . a shooting gallery
. . . .  . wine cellar holding 1,700 bottles.

BEATEN UP BY DOUG FORD’S “PROGRESSIVE” CONSERVATIVES, TORONTO GOES FOR THE LIBERALS

Canada’s largest city is leaning towards Prime Minister JUSTIN TRUDEAU and his Liberal Party in the October 21st federal election.According to FORUM RESEARCH in a new poll, 46% of decided voters are onside with Trudeau’s team. The federal Conservatives rate 26%, the NDP 12% and the Green Party 10%“The Liberals are once again showing a dominant lead over their political rivals in Fortress TORONTO,” says Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research. “If the Greens continue to rise in the city, potentially taking support away from the NDP, (could) consequently make it harder for the Conservatives to (vote split).”

THERE’S A PEACEFUL REFUGE FOR RETIRED DONKEYS AND IT’S NOT VERY FAR FROM TORONTO

The hard workers of the equine world are too often taken for granted, treated inhumanely, and considered disposable as they age. Since 1992, the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada, a short drive west of TORONTO, has been a refuge for donkeys, mules and hinnies (offspring of a horse stallion and a jenny donkey) who’ve been abandoned, abused or put up for adoption. Sixty-one of them live in peace at the Sanctuary, and another 40 are in care at foster farms.<PHOTO ABOVE – Daily Hive>The Sanctuary’s charter grants all of the animals – the right of life regardless of age or condition; a dignified and peaceful death; freedom from hunger and thirst; freedom from discomfort and pain, fear and distress.To learn more about the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada, hours of operation, education, programs and tours, check their website – http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.caHOW TO GET THERE – From TORONTO take Highway 401 westbound, exit #295, Highway 6 North. Go to the second road, Puslinch Concession 4, turn left and proceed to #6981.

NEAR TORONTO’S BORDER YOU’LL FIND A FULL-SIZED OPERATING ELECTRIC RAILWAY & MUSEUM

The Halton County Radial Railway (HCRR) in MILTON is a non-profit, educational organization, and Ontario’s first and largest electric railway museum. Founded in 1972, its mission is to collect, preserve, restore, operate and show electric railway trains, streetcars and buses – many of which are retired from the streets of TORONTO.<PHOTO by Ted Wickson – the first two streetcars acquired in 1954; #1326 on the  left was built in 1910 and was the last wooden streetcar retired by TORONTO Transit; #55 on the right was built in 1915.><#327 on loan to TORONTO Transit for the TTC’s 80th birthday celebration, is shown at the corner of Bay and Dundas Streets.  Photo by Ted Wickson.  It’s also part of the Halton Collection><Self-propelled welding car, believed to be the only surviving ERICO bonder, Lake Erie and Northern Railway><Rail grinding car from TORONTO Transit, acquired in 2002; photo by Alan Gryfe><Recently acquired TTC replica of a horse-drawn bus, built in 1930, used in parades and at the CNE; photo – Transit Historian Trevor>Getting there from TORONTO – Highway 401 westbound, exit #312 Guelph Line. Travel north until you reach the museum on the east side of the road. From the Queen Elizabeth Way, exits #102 and drive north for 40 kilometres. Opening hours in JULY & AUGUST – 11 am to 4:30 pm; weekends and holidays 10 am to 5 pm. Website – https://hcry.org/