Dominating everything around it, TORONTO’s 17-storey Globe and Mail Centre sits on land formerly occupied by the 18th century BERKELEY HOUSE. King Street East at Berkeley in its day would have been a developing neighbourhood.
To its credit, the Globe (Canada’s original national newspaper) allowed archeologists to plumb the depths before construction got underway in earnest. Digging deep, they found the elderly building’s foundations – and not much else.
In the watercolour below, by JOHN SMALL (1866-1949) we see an idyllic image of the house surrounded by green fields. An inscription reads “after a pencil sketch made by Mrs. C.C. Small in 1830”.
<BELOW> – Berkeley House as the city grew up around it in Corktown. Images – http://www.virtualreferencelibrary.ca