The Alexandra Studio, 1870-1970’s

The Alexandra Studio was established at 322 Queen Street West around 1870.  In 1908, photographer Louis Turofsky bought it with $165 in borrowed cash, and went into partnership with his younger brother, Nathan.

Among their clients over the years – the Canadian National Exhibition, Ellis-Don, the International Union of Operating Engineers and the Subway Property Committee.  The Turofsky’s photographs of  life in early TORONTO are much valued today.

<PHOTOS BELOW – The Turofskys & friends outside Alexandra Studio, ca1950; Grey Cup “mudbowl”, Varsity Stadium, 1950; and window shopping at Eatons College Street, 1937>

2009_06_06alexandrastudio_it9425smaller12009_06_06louturofsky1950greycup_it9451_highrez1772px-window_shopping_at_simpsons

Advertisements