The first tower went up a half-century ago, transforming TORONTO’s skyline from low-rise to high-rise. Renowned architect MIES VAN DER ROHE’s design (‘less is more’) set a new standard for the financial district and introduced the modern workplace to Canada.
The TD Bank Tower & the TD North Tower in the early 1970s. <photo – Cadillac Fairview>
Today there are six towers (5 are black), owned by Cadillac Fairview and the Ontario Pension Board. Over 20,000 people work in the complex, which includes a public plaza, Joe Fafard’s cow sculptures, a living green roof atop the banking pavilion, and 70 tenants. Since 2009, the buildings have been undergoing a $250-million revitalization.
The TD Centre meticulously maintains the appearance of the iconic complex. <photo above – Tom Arban>
Today, the financial district’s skyline has grown up around the TD Centre.
Who’s coming to the TORONTO International Film Festival? Some members of the A-list below –
Gael Garcia Bernal
The 42nd annual TORONTO International Film Festival, September 7-17, http://www.tiff.net
This summer’s really big show at TORONTO’s Royal Ontario Museum has now closed. It will soon head out on a cross-country tour.
<PHOTOS – Tanja Tiziana>
The museum hasn’t confirmed travel plans, but it will probably go to three or four Canadian venues – and maybe internationally – before being installed permanently in TORONTO at the ROM.
The Blue Whale’s gigantic heart
The female whale washed ashore in Trout River, Newfoundland in 2014, bloated with gas and threatening to explode. Turning the 90-tonne whale into an exhibit was a gargantuan task, taking almost three years. A second blue whale, which washed ashore in Rocky Harbour, Nfld., will eventually be on display at Memorial University in St. John’s.
Our city’s oldest military cemetery was established by Governor Simcoe to receive bodies from nearby Fort York. His youngest daughter, Katherine, was the first to be buried here, followed by another 400 – including some casualties from the War of 1812.
Fortunately, a few of the earliest gravestones have survived, and they now form a wall of remembrance.
In the centre of the park is an impressive monument to the War of 1812, sculpted by Walter Seymour Allward. The Union Jack flies over all.
The cemetery was closed in 1863, and virtually abandoned until the late 19th century, when it was turned into a public park.
The TTC’s Hillcrest maintenance shop, 1138 Bathurst Street, is where the streetcars and buses go for an overhaul and repairs. Opened in 1923, the property was once home to the Hillcrest Race Track. It’s now a major TORONTO Transit Commission maintenance centre. <PHOTO – Vic on Flickr>
Highly skilled employees here have the expertise and equipment to build streetcars from scratch, a project the Commission undertook a few years ago.
The Harvey Shops are named after D. W. Harvey, the TTC’s general manager from 1924-1938. They’re actually a series of small repair shops under one roof – each specializing in different skills – from sheet metal and upholstery, to motor, body repair and paint.
<PHOTO ABOVE – a yellow rail grinder car in front of the Harvey Shops at Hillcrest, ca1967-68>
<PHOTO ABOVE – one of the city’s new streetcars arriving at Harvey Shops. It will go into a series of road tests before entering public service.>
For anything and everything about TORONTO’s transportation system – subways, buses and streetcars – take a look at Steve Munro’s excellent website: http://www.stevemunro.ca