<The good old days on Eastern Avenue – City of TORONTO Archives/Sidewalk Labs>
30,000+ historic photos are now on-line thanks to Sidewalk Labs & the City of TORONTO Archives. An invaluable research facility, the OLD TORONTO website is very easy to use. You’ll find it at https://oldtoronto.sidewalklabs.com/
Upper Canada College is among our country’s most prestigious private boy’s schools. Modeled on the British public school system, UCC graduates fill the roles of Canada’s powerful and elite. Its alumni include 6 lieutenant-governors, 3 premiers, 7 chief justices, 4 mayors of TORONTO, 24 Rhodes Scholars, 10 Olympic medallists, and 40 members or officers of the Order of Canada. They must be doing something right.
<The UCC campus, bordered by leafy Forest Hill & North Toronto – photos above The Dalton Company>
You can spot the UCC clock tower from the corner of Avenue Road and Bloor Street West. Look up Avenue Road and it’s at the top of the hill.
<Lieutenant-Governor SIR JOHN COLBORNE, founder of Upper Canada College in 1829>
<PAINTING – Upper Canada College, 1835>
<PAINTING – The Prayer Hall by JOHN GEORGE HOWARD, 1842>
<PHOTO – a mud road leads to the principal building, ca1884>
<A much more recent photo taken in the mid-1900’s – note the car>
This magnificent agglomeration was home to the University of TORONTO’s Trinity College from 1852 to 1925. It was situated on the present-day site of Trinity-Bellwoods Park, on Queen Street West. The photos above and below were taken around 1890, and are provided by the City of Toronto Archives.
<PHOTO ABOVE – The Provost’s Lodge, Trinity College>
All that’s left of the old Trinity College are the gates. They’re now a landmark entrance to Trinity-Bellwoods Park.
There are over 10,000 pipe bands in the world, and TORONTO has one of the finest. The Toronto Police Pipe Band, founded in 1912, is reputedly up in the Top 30. Its members are primarily from the Greater Toronto Area, but some live as far away as Montreal, Ottawa, New England and Michigan. <PHOTO ABOVE – the Band marching in the Santa Claus Parade>
<PHOTO ABOVE – The original Toronto Police Pipe Band, 1912>
A premier grade, or “grade one” band, a less-experienced “grade three” band and an overall “public service” band all come together to form the Toronto Police Pipe Band.
<PHOTO – Recording a CD at TORONTO’s El Mocambo nightclub>
<PHOTO – Fergus Highland Games, 2001>
<PHOTO – The Band in front of city hall, Nathan Philips Square>
<Where King & Queen Streets meet, Parkdale, 1907, City of Toronto Archives>
<King & Queen Streets intersect near the bridge across the Don River, 1907, City of Toronto Archives>
The task of this early version of a rail grinder car was to make sure the streetcar tracks were smooth. This, and several later models were retired because they were not able to get up to speed in heavy traffic, and lighter machinery became available to do the job.
In September, 2002, the TTC removed grinders from their property, donating them to the Halton County Railway Museum. <PHOTO – City of Toronto Archives/Sidewalk Labs>