Hidden behind a 1960‘s-era facade, a 40,000-square-foot piece of Victoriana, chimneys and all, will soon be part of Ryerson University’s $46-million Centre for Urban Innovation. The 1886 heritage building once housed Canada’s first pharmacy school, and until recently was the university’s Theatre Arts School.
The Centre for Urban Innovation will bring together researchers of separate but related subjects with a focus on nutrition, energy and water in an urban context. Carol Phillips of Moriyama and Teshima Architects is the lead designer of the project.
The Ontario College of Pharmacy Gerrard Street East entrance, built in 1887, was demolished and replaced by a modern facade in 1963. <PHOTO – City of Toronto Archives>
<From the Series: Vestige, the Former Unilever Factory, Toronto / Liquid Storage Tanks, 6th Floor, Finishing Building; © Steven Evans, 2017>
The TORONTO Society of Architects’ lecture for this year’s ‘Doors Open’ will take place in the former Unilever Factory, 21 Don Roadway, East Harbour. ‘What is Canadian Architecture?’ is the focus, and the program will feature a debate among leading designers and architects from Canada and beyond.
Closed-toed shoes are strongly recommended because this is a former factory building. Both covered bike racks and free parking will be available. Friday, May 26 at 7pm.
Erected in 1917 between two waterfront warehouses, the Harbour Commission Building has survived radical changes on the shores of Lake Ontario. Infill has left the 6-storey structure on dry land, surrounded fore and aft by numerous skyscrapers, the Harbourfront Centre, three theatres, Queens Quay, the Power Plant contemporary art gallery, shops, a streetcar line and a cycling/walking trail.
<PHOTO ABOVE – Harbour Commission Building, lower right, on its pier; City of Toronto Archives>
It’s not every day that a TORONTO developer saves two heritage structures, installs a super atrium connector and puts up a multi-storey office building with an eOne sign on top. Such is the case with QRC WEST, at the corner of Peter Street and Richmond West. It’s photogenic in the extreme.
The two heritage buildings were once Weston bread & baked goods factories. Now they’ve been modernized, connected and house some of TORONTO’s most coveted office space.
<PHOTOS – Peter Street as it was in the 1940’s, 50’s>
<Richmond Street West as it once was>
<PHOTO ABOVE – connecting the two elderly red-brick structures; HGC Engineering>
Owned and developed by Allied Properties, QRC West was designed by Sweeny, Sterling, Finlayson & Co. Architects.