Riverdale was the last of four branches constructed with a $350,000 grant financed in 1903 by Andrew Carnegie. The branch was constructed of red brick with white Ohio sandstone trim at a cost of $24,174. Located at the “great transfer corner” where Broadview Avenue meets Gerrard Street East, as well as two streetcar lines. It’s one of the first to use the “open shelf” system, allowing visitors to browse around themselves, and one of the first Canadian libraries to use radial open stacks. From the entrance, Library staff can monitor reading rooms. the opened front door, and the stacks.