TORONTO’s 10.2 million trees occupy – surprisingly – only 20% of the urban landscape. Half of them are in excellent or good condition; countless others suffocate in concrete boxes along urban spillways and city streets.A study, “Every Tree Counts”, tells us that “the structural value of our urban forest represents a staggering $7 billion. Furthermore, the environmental and social services provided by the urban forest greatly exceed the annual investment in its management.The urban forest provides over $60 million annually in ecological services, including climate change and air pollution mitigation and energy conservation benefits, plus additional storm water management services.”TORONTO plants about 84,000 trees every year. Approximately 54% of new trees in the city are regenerated naturally. The remaining 46% are planted. Spring and fall are spectacular seasons here, when our tree population looks its very best.