In the 1950s, most roads in Newfoundland were unpaved, rocky, and rough. In the capital city of St. John’s, a prominent dealership named Terra Nova Motors (which still exists today) sold a variety of brands – mostly GM marques – including, of course, the Buick.At the behest of Terra Nova’s dealer principal, General Motors flew a duo of Buick engineers to Newfoundland and were promptly taken on a 180 kilometre journey from their arrival point to the capital city.The Buick engineers were aghast. Their beautiful car was essentially uncontrollable on the bumpy and jagged highway. By all accounts, wheels pogoed up and down as the suspension flopped about like a freshly caught codfish. Cementing the problem were the number of Buicks suffering broken frames after just a short time on Newfoundland soil.Determined to solve the problem and repair Buick’s tarnished image, the GM engineers went back to Michigan and set to work developing a heavier than standard frame, specially tempered springs, and abnormally powerful shock absorbers. The changes worked, leading Buick to provide Terra Nova Motors with a few years’ worth of its opulent and newly stout two and four-door hardtop convertibles.
Built – 1911-1914 . . . Cost – $3.5-million . . . 98 rooms . . . 5 acres of gardens . . . designed by E. J. Lennox who also did Old City Hall . . . 30 bathrooms . . . 25 fireplaces . . . 22,400 sq. foot stables . . . 3 bowling alleys . . . a shooting gallery . . . . . wine cellar holding 1,700 bottles.
Canada’s largest city is leaning towards Prime Minister JUSTIN TRUDEAU and his Liberal Party in the October 21st federal election.According to FORUM RESEARCH in a new poll, 46% of decided voters are onside with Trudeau’s team. The federal Conservatives rate 26%, the NDP 12% and the Green Party 10%“The Liberals are once again showing a dominant lead over their political rivals in Fortress TORONTO,” says Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research. “If the Greens continue to rise in the city, potentially taking support away from the NDP, (could) consequently make it harder for the Conservatives to (vote split).”
The hard workers of the equine world are too often taken for granted, treated inhumanely, and considered disposable as they age. Since 1992, the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada, a short drive west of TORONTO, has been a refuge for donkeys, mules and hinnies (offspring of a horse stallion and a jenny donkey) who’ve been abandoned, abused or put up for adoption. Sixty-one of them live in peace at the Sanctuary, and another 40 are in care at foster farms.<PHOTO ABOVE – Daily Hive>The Sanctuary’s charter grants all of the animals – the right of life regardless of age or condition; a dignified and peaceful death; freedom from hunger and thirst; freedom from discomfort and pain, fear and distress.To learn more about the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada, hours of operation, education, programs and tours, check their website – http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.caHOW TO GET THERE – From TORONTO take Highway 401 westbound, exit #295, Highway 6 North. Go to the second road, Puslinch Concession 4, turn left and proceed to #6981.
The Halton County Radial Railway (HCRR) in MILTON is a non-profit, educational organization, and Ontario’s first and largest electric railway museum. Founded in 1972, its mission is to collect, preserve, restore, operate and show electric railway trains, streetcars and buses – many of which are retired from the streets of TORONTO.<PHOTO by Ted Wickson – the first two streetcars acquired in 1954; #1326 on the left was built in 1910 and was the last wooden streetcar retired by TORONTO Transit; #55 on the right was built in 1915.><#327 on loan to TORONTO Transit for the TTC’s 80th birthday celebration, is shown at the corner of Bay and Dundas Streets. Photo by Ted Wickson. It’s also part of the Halton Collection><Self-propelled welding car, believed to be the only surviving ERICO bonder, Lake Erie and Northern Railway><Rail grinding car from TORONTO Transit, acquired in 2002; photo by Alan Gryfe><Recently acquired TTC replica of a horse-drawn bus, built in 1930, used in parades and at the CNE; photo – Transit Historian Trevor>Getting there from TORONTO – Highway 401 westbound, exit #312 Guelph Line. Travel north until you reach the museum on the east side of the road. From the Queen Elizabeth Way, exits #102 and drive north for 40 kilometres. Opening hours in JULY & AUGUST – 11 am to 4:30 pm; weekends and holidays 10 am to 5 pm. Website – https://hcry.org/
Without question he’s one of the most famous Canadians ever. MILES GILBERT “TIM” HORTON (1930-74) was born in Cochrane, Ontario and played 22 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the TORONTO Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres.<PHOTO ABOVE – the first restaurant to bear Tim Horton’s name opened in NORTH BAY, Ontario, It sold hamburgers instead of doughnuts.> Today there are around 4,800 Tim Hortons coffee houses in Canada and the United States – more than 80 in Buffalo alone. There’s at least one outlet in almost every Canadian village, town and city, as well as in every rest stop along Ontario’s 401 Highway.The first TIM HORTONS doughnut shop opened in HAMILTON, Ontario in 1964. A plaque marks its former location, and not surprisingly there’s a new Tim’s on-site.Outlets in the Phlippines, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Spain and China are in planning or building stages. The idea is to increase the number of outlets to over 40,000 worldwide. Tim’s is now under the wing of an American company, but its headquarters remain in Ontario.At 4 a.m. on February 21, 1974 Horton, who was speeding to BUFFALO from TORONTO on the Queen Elizabeth Way, lost control of his sportscar, hit a concrete culvert, was thrown onto the road, and arrived dead at a local hospital, At the time of his death there were about 50 restaurants open or in development. <PHOTO ABOVE – Hockey Hall of Fame, TORONTO>
SHEA’S HIPPODROME, opened on April 27, 1914 on what is now Nathan Phillips Square. It was the largest theatre in Canada, with over 3,000 seats. Silent movies were on the bill, along with a 24-piece orchestra.In 1926 a magnificent $50,000 Wurlitzer organ was installed. It would rise from the lowest part of the orchestra pit to the stage. The theatre closed on December 27, 1957 to make way for a new city hall. The organ was re-installed in Maple Leaf Gardens.<SHEA’S HIPPODROME with a sign promoting Elvis Presley’s new movie ‘LOVE ME TENDER’. The film opened in November, 1956.> ABOVE PHOTOS – City of Toronto Archive; Toronto Public Library & Historic Toronto.
One sits on top of the other. On the bottom – the resplendent ELGIN, and on top – the WINTER GARDEN, with its pastel lamps and leafy bowers. These are the last remaining double-decker Edwardian-era theatres in the world. 189 Yonge Street, above Queen.<PHOTOS ABOVE – The Elgin><PHOTO ABOVE – The Winter Garden> This National Historic Site offers year-round tours – Thursdays at 5pm & Saturdays at 11am. Adults $12; students and seniors $10. Cash only. No reservations required. Tours include samples from the vaudeville scenery collection, the Winter Garden’s original Simplex Silent Film Projector and a vaudeville-era dressing room. Ontario Heritage Trust website – http://www.heritagetrust.on.ca
<J.W. Cleary, Coconut Palms, Kingston Harbour, c. 1895> NEW YORK’s Patrick Montgomery assembled over ten years a huge collection of historical photos from the Caribbean.<Valentine & Sons, A Boat on Kingston Harbour (variation), 1891> Montgomery says “I was surprised how few (local historical societies) had photo collections…. So I started poking around and talking to dealers, and it turns out they did exist, but not in the Caribbean. The climate and economy [largely] didn’t support that kind of archive.”<Unknown photographer, Glendairy Prison Officials, Barbados, 1909> Thanks to $300,000 in support mainly from TORONTO’s Caribbean and Black community donors, the unique collection is now in the archives of the Art Gallery of Ontario.<Felix Morin, Coolie Woman, Trinidad, c. 1890><Felix Morin, Bananas, Trinidad, c. 1890> The collection is distinctive in its reach, covering no fewer than 34 countries from 1840 through to 1940. (Canadian Art Magazine, June/2019)
<The VARIETY HOTEL, with its vitrolite facade, was one of several small hotels in the Queen/Chestnut neighbourhood. The Alexandra at 102 Queen & the Municipal at 67 Queen Street were close by. They all provided basic rooms at reasonable prices. Photo – Jones & Morris, 1956><Main floor of the ladies’ beverage room in the VARIETY HOTEL, 1956. Photo – Jones & Morris><A basic hotel room, 1956; Photo – Jones & Morris> The VARIETY was located at 112-114 Queen Street West. It was typical of several hotels in the vicinity of city hall.