“December 13th/2018 marks the 100th anniversary of the Prince Edward Viaduct, which spans the Don Valley, connecting Bloor Street East with the Danforth. To those who cross it or drive under it, the viaduct has an air of immutable solidity.” – @tophotolaureate
“During the three-year construction period, the site presented a very different aspect – messy, chaotic and raw.” – @tophotolaureate . . . . . The Viaduct opened in 1918 minus the “luminous veil” (which was created to prevent suicides). The bridge, which crosses the Don Valley, carries the Bloor-Danforth subway, four lanes of traffic, and two sidewalks into (what once was) the village of Danforth.
<PRINCE EDWARD VIADUCT, hand-tinted lantern slide by WILLIAM JAMES, 1926; City of TORONTO Archives>
<The Viaduct in 2018, with suicide prevention’s illuminated “Shimmering Veil” on both sides>