<Lois Andison’s “golden on sterling”, produced for MOCA’s Benefit Editions>
Five storeys of the former Tower Automotive Building, 158 Sterling Road, have now been transformed into TORONTO’s new Museum of Contemporary Art. Built in 1920, the heritage tower has a long history of aluminum manufacturing, sheet-metal casting and automotive parts creating. Who could have imagined that one day it would become the city’s latest art museum?
In the Lower Junction neighbourhood, the former industrial building is the tallest structure for several kilometres around. In 2005 it was designated a heritage site. After lying fallow for 10 years or so, the tower now has a new reason for being.
The museum’s debut kicks off with the ‘Free International Grand Opening Weekend’, September 22 & 23, artists in attendance, 10 am to 5 pm. For details go to https://museumofcontemporaryart.ca/calendar/international-grand-opening-weekend/