Our city’s first Church of Scotland was founded in 1830 in the Old Town of York (known today as TORONTO). On February 13, 1876, some of the congregants moved west to New St. Andrew’s, designed by the noted architect W. G. Storm. It became the central Presbyterian church in the city.
At one time this was a rather poor neighbourhood, but along came the St. Andrew’s subway station, Roy Thomson Hall, two major theatres, condominiums, and a growing financial district. A link to the district’s past: an Out of the Cold program launched in 1992 to help combat homelessness continues to this day.
The congregation has maintained its Scottish roots. To celebrate St. Andrew’s 175th anniversary, the Moderator of the Church of Scotland came to TORONTO to deliver a keynote address.
The church and congregation have strong links with the 48th Highlanders Regiment of Canada.
The 48th Highlanders Museum is located in the basement, and includes uniforms, medals, photographs, weapons and other artifacts. Founded in 1959, the current location was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997.
MUSEUM HOURS – Wednesdays & Thursdays, 10 am to 3:00 pm.
For more information – http://www.48highlanders.com/04_03.html