<Selling The Telegram on Bay Street, November/1931 – City of Toronto Archives>
The Telegram was a popular afternoon broadsheet newspaper, published from 1876 to 1971. It was very right-wing and supported the Conservative Party, both federally and provincially.
<Yonge Street as it was before the subway opened, ca1950’s – York University Archives>
In the fifties and sixties, The Telegram gave a way-in to many young reporters graduating from Ryerson University’s School of Journalism. Some stayed with newspapers, while others went on to television, radio and book writing.
When The Telegram shut down, it was a major blow to the industry. Its subscriber list was sold to the TORONTO Star for $10-million, and the Star also took over its Front Street building, which was later sold to the Globe and Mail.
York University holds an archive of about 500,000 print and 830,000 negatives taken by Telegram photographers. 13,000 of them are searchable online.
<ABOVE – The lively hodge podge that was Yonge Street in the 1960’s. Note the red and yellow city bus & the old Edison Hotel sign – York University Archives>
<ABOVE – The Telegram building, 1950’s. on a romantic-looking Bay Street at Melinda – City of Toronto Archives.>