The Lighthouse, part of Scotland’s Centre for Design & Architecture, is just high enough to allow an uninterrupted view of GLASGOW’s city-centre skyline.
The multiplicity of architectural styles and building designs, all bunched up together, is quite wonderful.
The Lighthouse, completed in 1895, was designed by famed architect CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH. The building below was formerly the newspaper offices of the Glasgow Herald.
<Helical staircase to the MacKintosh Tower, accessible from the 3rd floor – PHOTO by George Gastin/Wikipedia>
The sixth floor viewing room is only accessible by an elevator, and to access the MacKintosh Tower on the north side, the way up is a spectacular helical staircase.
The Lighthouse is one of the UK’s extraordinary observation towers, and old GLASGOW has one of the most complex skylines. There’s no admission charge either.