Where Lake Ontario meets the St. Lawrence River, at the mouth of the Cataraqui River, and the south end of the Rideau Canal sits KINGSTON, population 124,000. For its size, this city contains a wealth of Canadian history, art, architecture and public institutions.
KINGSTON was named the first capital of the Province of Canada on February 10, 1841, was home to Canada’s first Prime Minister (Sir John A. MacDonald), and of the Royal Military College, Fort Henry and Queens University – one of Canada’s oldest.
Above photos – Kingston City Hall, its stained glass windows and council chamber
KINGSTON is a city of many beautiful churches. Photos above – St. Mary’s Catholic Cathedral & St. George’s Anglican Cathedral
Bellevue – the home of Canada’s first Prime Minister (Sir John A. MacDonald) and his family from 1848-49. Tours available.
The Agnes Etherington Art Centre at Queens University, 36 University Avenue, http://www.agnes.queensu.ca
As it’s always been, Saturday is market day behind City Hall
KINGSTON is well known for its architecture. This building complex, The Kensington, incorporates Victorian-era buildings with a multi-level modern structure. It’s wonderful to look at – but Prince Charles would no doubt have a fit.
Driving to KINGSTON from TORONTO – take the 401 east and three hours later you’re there. Exit Division Street.
Princess Street, KINGSTON, August, 2014, Julia McKay/The Whig-Standard