<Two years ago the Broadview was covered in tarp as restoration work began>
Another of TORONTO’s 19th century hotels has been given a new lease on life – this time by Streetcar Developments. The company, headquartered in Riverside (Queen Street East at the Don River), purchased the 126-year-old building and has been working on it for the last couple of years.
First named Dingman’s Hall after an Alberta oilman, it became the Broadview in 1907. Then it was renamed the Lincoln Hotel, then back to the Broadview. By the 1970’s it was boarding house with JILLY’S, a strip club on the ground floor.
“We’ve restored it to its original purpose – a neighbourhood gathering place and hotel – while keeping in mind its various incarnations through its 125-year history,” says Jeff Schnitter, Streetcar’s VP of architecture. <PHOTO ABOVE – the old Broadview sign will be part of the new decor>
The street-level café and bar will serve breakfast, take-out and coffee during the day and become a cocktail and champagne bar at night. <IMAGE – Norm Li>
The Rooftop Restaurant features a skylight and floor-to-ceiling windows. It’s housed in a glass box. <IMAGE – Norm Li>
The tower will be open for private events, with room for 20 diners or 30 for receptions. On the seventh floor, this part of the old hotel features exposed brick and wood, arched windows and a vaulted ceiling. <Interior Design credit: DesignAgency / Rendering credit: Norm Li>
On the opposite side of Queen Street East, Streetcar Developments is working on another new development – Riverside Square. <IMAGE BELOW>