The Richard L. Hearn Generating Station is a huge industrial landmark in TORONTO’s Port Lands, three times the size of LONDON’s Tate Modern, 12 times bigger than the Parthenon. <PHOTO ABOVE – Jack Landau/Urban Toronto>
Opened in 1951 as a coal-fired plant and decommissioned in 1983, the red brick Hearn with its 215-metre-tall incinerator stack is a monument to industrial obsolescence. It’s on Unwin Avenue, not far from downtown’s skyscrapers and accessible by bike, public transit, a shuttle bus, taxi and Uber. <PHOTO ABOVE – blogto>
<RENDERING ABOVE – Front Lobby, Partisans & Norm Li>
<PHOTO ABOVE – Control Room, Kendall Anderson/Invisible Thread.com>
For two weeks this spring The Hearn will become a centre of music, theatre and art – everything LUMINATO under one roof from high to low, pops to the classics, underground to established, old and new, left to right.
<PHOTO ABOVE – Turbine Hall, Invisible Thread.com>
<PHOTO ABOVE – ‘Unsound Toronto’ inside The Hearn/2015 by David Leyes>