WYCHWOOD PARK was founded as a private artists colony by painter Marmaduke Matthews (his ‘Autumn Still Life/1888′ below) and businessman Alexander Jardin. It exists intact to this day. Mr. Matthews’ home, Wychwood, #6 (BELOW), still stands, beside another 60 houses built around a small pond, which is actually a dammed up Taddle Creek. http://www.lostrivers.ca
WYCHWOOD PARK is our only neighbourhood with a warning sign for quicksand and one of the few still lit by TORONTO’S old streetlamps. Some of the houses have spectacular downtown views. The village combines rusticity and exclusivity; house prices here run into the millions. Adjacent are the Wychwood Car Barns.
Getting to WYCHWOOD PARK – take the St. Clair streetcar #512 to Wychwood, and then walk south.