The Tower Automotive Building, 158 Sterling Road in TORONTO’s west end was built in 1920 and had a long history making aluminum, sheet-casting and automotive parts. It closed about 10 years ago, shortly after being designated a heritage site.
Abandoned, but occasionally accessed by graffiti artists, photographers, pigeons, and urban explorers, the Tower will soon become home to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), which will be moving from its current perch in the West Queen West Arts District. MOCA will occupy the first two-and-a-half floors in the 10-storey highrise.
The Museum’s floor space will triple in size from its present site to as much as 5,400 square metres. The facility in Canada’s largest city will be within walking distance of two streetcar lines, two stops on the Bloor-Danforth subway and a GO station. MOCCA will join a number of other super-sized galleries in the immediate area, including Toronto Photographer’s Workshop, the Clint Roenisch Gallery, Scrap Metal, Daniel Faria Gallery, Arsenal, the Jessica Bradley Gallery and Mercer Union.
PHOTOS – Vic Gedris, http://www.junctiontriangle.ca