One of this city’s oldest restaurants got the New York Times treatment in the Sunday Travel Section on March 30. MICHAEL KAMINER writes: “A red neon sign warms the facade of the Senator Restaurant, TORONTO’s oldest, just as it did in the days when streetwear meant fedoras and overcoats. “Inside, with its vinyl booths, shiny wood counter and huge mahogany mirror, it looks much the same as when it opened in 1929.”
BOB SNIDERMAN, who rescued the restaurant from demolition in 1984, has hired ANDREW TAYLOR, the chef at Langdon Hall (an acclaimed restaurant in nearby Cambridge, Ontario) to update and revamp the menu. The new emphasis is on locally grown food. Typically, restaurants have one or two suppliers; The Senator now has 40 thanks to Mr. Taylor. The dinner menu has been updated. Breakfast and lunch are coming next. “Mr. Taylor has already added irresistible home-made jams from Rose’s and maple syrup from Haggart’s Farm in Owen Sound.” Read the entire review on the website – http://www.thesenator.com
The Senator is at 249 Victoria Street, opposite the Ed Mirvish Theatre, 416-364-7517.