Until 1919 and the completion of the Prince Edward Viaduct, the DANFORTH was fairly isolated on the east side of the Don River Valley. In 1888 the TORONTO Street Railway had established a streetcar line along Broadview Avenue to Queen Street East. But the Viaduct (named in honour of King Edward VIII) immediately became the major link to the expanding city on the west bank.
The Bloor-Danforth subway, which crosses the Don on the Viaduct, launched a major wave of home renovations and restoration all along the Danforth. The line opened in 1966.
<PHOTOS ABOVE – 1) Building the Prince Edward Viaduct, 1916 2) Coffee on the Danforth, 1934 3) Bank of Toronto – still exists – 1930 4) Grocery at Carlaw and Danforth, 1934 5) Used car lot, 1960’s 6) Collapsed pole Main Street at Danforth, 1926 6) Hillingdon streetcar terminus, south of Danforth, 1922>