Layers of city grime are being removed from one of TORONTO’s most beautiful churches. ST. MICHAEL’S CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, originally built in 1845-48 by William Thomas, is an example of the English Gothic Revival style of architecture. The Cathedral, in the centre of downtown, has undergone two major renovations: the completion of the tower and spire in 1865-67 by Gundry and Langley, and the addition of dormers by Joseph Connolly in 1890. <SUNSET PHOTO BELOW – Skeezix1000/Wikipedia>
Under all that soot, a yellow-brick beauty is emerging. The steeple alone is impressive, rising 261 feet above Bond Street. St. Michael’s Choir School and St. Michael’s Hospital are close by.