On JUNE 26, 1913, the cornerstone was dedicated for one of TORONTO’s most successful efforts to provide better housing for working people. The new Spruce Court Apartments, Spruce Street at Sumach, were so popular they were occupied ASAP, and a lengthy waiting list began. Hardwood floors, solid millwork, heavy doors with brass fittings, double-hung multi-paned windows, and stone sills – Spruce Court was built to last. And to this day, it’s one of the most successful co-ops in the city.
Supervising architect: Birmingham native EDEN SMITH (1858-1949)
PHOTO BELOW – Spruce Court dining room ca1913/City of Toronto Archives