Little BOND STREET is home to several historic institutions. <ABOVE – St. Michael’s Cathedral under renovation>
<PHOTO – St. Michael’s Boys Choir School, founded in 1937>
The First Evangelical Lutheran Church, erected in 1898 by German immigrants to TORONTO. The congregation dates back to 1851.
St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church, 115 Bond Street, originally opened as Holy Blossom Temple in 1897. Designed by Canadian architect, John Wilson Siddall, it functioned as a synagogue until 1937, and then was sold to the Greek Orthodox community. It’s now the mother church of the Greek diaspora in Canada.
The church interior is the only one outside of Greece to have been painted in its entirety by the Pachomaioi monks, Theophilos and Chrysostomos, master iconographers from Mount Athos, Greece.
Up from there is MacKENZIE House Museum, home of TORONTO’s first mayor, William Lyon MacKenzie.
HART HOUSE, on the University of Toronto’s downtown campus, is one of North America’s earliest student centres. Established in 1911, it’s named in honour of Hart Massey (the grandfather of Vincent Massey, former Governor-General of Canada). Among other things, it contains the monumental Great Hall and the art deco Hart House Theatre.
<PHOTO – hydraulophone music rehearsal, Great Hall, glogger/wikipedia>
HART HOUSE THEATRE opened in November, 1919. It’s considered the ‘cradle of Canadian theatre’, and among those who began their careers there were Raymond Massey, Lloyd Bochner, Wayne and Shuster, William Hutt, Don Harron, Kate Reid, Arthur Hiller, Donald Sutherland, Norman Jewison and Lorne Michaels.