Theatre Passe Muraille is another of TORONTO’s red brick theatres. It’s housed in a former bakery, at 16 Ryerson Avenue in the Queen and Bathurst area. In 1984 Keanu Reeves appeared in Brad Fraser’s play “Wolfboy” at the Passe Muraille. The story, about a teenager with wolfish tendencies, became a cult hit – and was later made into a musical.
At about the same time, Keanu was a correspondent for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s youth magazine “Going Great”. He now has a star on Hollywood Boulevard.
Canoe Landing Park, designed by Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg of Vancouver, overlooks the Gardiner Expressway, a block or so west of Spadina Avenue.
The park features several stand alone works by west coast artist and sculptor Douglas Coupland. These include a display of large, colourful fishing bobbers and a red canoe, atop a hill built from nearby construction excavations. That canoe has become a favourite city landmark.
Canoe Landing Park is also home to the Terry Fox Miracle Mile running track. Twice around the track = 1 mile.
TORONTO’s Carlu, is named after its original designer/architect, Jacques Carlu, whose most famous work is the Palais de Chaillot, near the Eiffel Tower from 1937’s Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne. The Carlu is one of TORONTO’s finest examples of Art Moderne.
It occupies the seventh floor of College Park – formerly an Eatons department store – which was supposed to be a skyscraper, but got stunted by the Great Depression. The Carlu is the reincarnated Eaton Auditorium, one of the few public performance venues in 1930’s TORONTO. The Canadian Opera Company, National Ballet, Eaton Operatic Society, and celebrities of all descriptions performed on its stage. CBC used the auditorium for live radio broadcasts; Glenn Gould regularly made recordings here.
After years of neglect and threat of demolition, the Round Room (with its long-lost Lalique Fountain) has survived; as has the foyer designed in the style of ocean liners of the thirties; and the Clipper Rooms, renovated in 2008.
<PHOTOS – Colin Rose, wikipedia; and <www.stipcophoto.com>
TORONTO’s spectacular Opera House at the Four Seasons Centre is home base for the Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada. Excellent sightlines and accoustics.
RICHARD LONGLEY in NOW Magazine writes – “Founded in 1911, HAMILTON GEAR produced actuators that opened and closed the locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway; the pilot’s canopy of the Avro Arrow; and the sliding roof of the Rogers Centre (then known as the SkyDome). The company vacated the building in 1994, and suffered broken windows and graffiti. A magnificent specimen of Miesian Industrial beauty.” <Photo above – Bob Krawczyk/Architectural Conservancy Ontario>